As a vegetarian I am always in search of different veggie recipes and I have got to say I hit the jackpot with this one! I have no idea why Ive not posted it before as I make it so often. : )
One of the things I really like about it is that its very forgiving and you can mix it up. Obviously I don’t eat meat but I did many years ago and something that would pair nicely with this is chunks chicken or even bacon mixed in with it. So if you have leftover chicken one night you could pop it in this the next night and it would serve as dinner as a whole. Don’t be shy about trying different spices in it and going with what you know. You’ll notice I’ve used Tzatziki, sour cream or Greek Yogurt for the mix and did so simply by playing with what I had the time and it worked.
They are best when served straight out of the oven but I have warmed them in the microwave and toasters oven, both of which were still yummy. Having said that I would use the toaster oven or oven if I had a preference because they don’t get quite as sloppy (for lack of better words : ) )
This is one time you shouldn’t listen to your mama when she said “Don’t pay with your food!” lol
1 small onion
cheese (read note)
1 tbsp Tzatziki (or sour cream or Greek Yogurt)
1/2 tsp salt
pinch of pepper
Garlic (to taste)
1 tsp Thyme
1 tbsp oil
1 small tomato (I use 1 Roma tomatoes)
1) Preheat the oven to 400 F (200 C)
2) Prep Zucchini with a good scrub
3) Slice them in half length-wise and cut off the ends if you like (I leave them on.)
3) Scoop out the inside. You’ll not in the photo I use a grapefruit spoon and it works perfectly if you have one.
4) On a cutting board (and yes I’m using one int he photos it’s just clear so it looks like I’m cutting on the counter ; ) ) Chop up the zucchini you just scooped out, along with the onion and the tomato.
5) Using the tbsp oil saute the onion until golden brown and add the salt, pepper and garlic a few minutes before removing from heat.
6) In a mixing bowl add the tomato, chopped zucchini, Tzatziki, and Thyme. (If you use Feta as your cheese is is best mixed in now instead of as a topping later)
7) Place zucchini into a lighter oiled baking dish (I just use Pam) and spoon the mixture into the zucchini boats.
8) Sprinkle your preferred cheese on top. (I prefer just using Parmesan)
9) Put them in preheated oven for approx 25 minutes and then another 15 minutes on broil to brown the top .